Thursday, November 13, 2014

A nude a week - 3:Jill bathing

Pastel sketches of a woman drying herself and relaxing after a bath. I particularly like the curve of the spine as she bends to dry her legs and the long sweep of the towel on the right.

How I painted these sketches

I liked the pose on the left where the model is is drying her leg., you can see the sweeping curve of the spine like half circle pointing up and to the right.  I drew this first then put in the arms and the lower part.  I used a violet pastel on thin paper.  Sadly we have not been able to photograph it well yet but you can still see the drawings.
With the figure on the top right , I liked the sweeping line from the hands along the shoulders and down to the towel clenched in the left hand.  Some strong accents are almost like pen lines.  Yet others, like the profile to the left of this figure, , use the pastel very gently with the hair almost like a water colour wash.
These five figures are all drawings of Jill, done very speedily and executed as she moved from one position to the next.  The overlaps don't worry me.  I love the way her hair falls.

How I paint nudes (part 3 of 7?)

In the previous post I talked about how I take a big selection of materials to the life drawing group and choose them, almost at random.

When I have made my random selection, I really am very open to what fate has handed me at that moment.  On another day I may feel like painting in acrylics and stick with that.
Each pose is different - some are very short - sometimes the model slowly and deliberately moves from one post into a totally different one so you have to work very fast and use your memory.  This is what happened with the series of poses above.

News:  I've now got a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005926214950

And finally a reminder: I hope to mount an exhibition of these paintings soon so if you can help it would be great.  Anyway please get in touch and if you feel you would like to buy any of the pictures, make me an offer.  We can probably do business.

No comments:

Post a Comment