Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Two drawings during breast feeding


Here are two drawings I made as I breast-fed my first child, Paul. On the first one, he is at my right breast.  My right arm cradles his head as he lays across my lap, and my right hand holds my sketchbook.  My left hand holds the pencil, as I am left-handed.

On the lower picture my baby is on the left breast, my left arm cradles his head and my left hand holds the sketchbook,  My right hand holds the pencil and it is not quite so easy to draw as I am not right-handed.

I am wondering if this set of two drawings is unique. Are there more drawings of the mother's/artist's eye view of breast feeding, and have been done as the baby actually fed.

I remember my baby gazing into my eyes and smiling constantly as he drunk. Then he stopped to smile and gaze at me - so sweet! I'm so glad I made these drawings.  It was summer 1960 in Waddington, Lincolnshire and my baby was 8 weeks old.

No comments:

Post a Comment